Saturday, November 22, 2008

Another Weekend of "Hunting," Seven Deer and Counting.....

Before I get started. I had some person of questionable mental aptitude write a comment about what a good looking twin brother I had. Delusional would be an apt description if you ask me since anyone looking can clearly see that I too am in the picture of the four Montgomery siblings so to say that the pilgarlic version of a Montgomery is "handsome" vs. the clearly studly brother, is either the result of some extreme alien mind manipulation or a pitiful case of delusional thinking on the commenter's part. Whichever it is, I wish you the best in your recovery.....
Here's a picture of the button buck I shot Friday afternoon. It's quite small, as you can tell by the proportion of it to my Browning 30-06 laying across it. I was happy to get it though because I was looking for some meat to make some more jerky with. My good friend Mike and I took the afternoon off Friday and went hunting. The sad part of it is that Mike sat in the original fort stand (Shaun, you know where I mean - where you shot a bunch of times abour 4-5 years ago when the weather was so nasty). He didn't see a thing and was very disappointed to put it mildly; he just hasn't had much of a hunting season this year so far (we still have time). I went back to my climbing stand overlooking the Continental Can cut-over and I saw two does go scooting across the cut-over but lost them in the middle of it when they got behind a dead oak tree that blocked my view. Then about 10-15 minutes later I saw a 6 or 8 pointer step out into the cut-over but couldn't get a shot (I did have that deer in the scope but figured I would rather take one of the does since I was hunting basically for meat). The two does soon stepped back out and then were just to my right eating acorns under the oak trees I was in the midst of. I got all set up for a shot, shot, and missed - watched the two does hop off into the pines beyond where I could see. About 20 minutes later this little guy was in the same place so I'm glad I didn't give up on the hunt. I say does because I certainly couldn't tell this was a button buck but I probably should have had a clue when he stepped back into the eating acorns stance after his mother had been shot at and missed.

Then today no one was hunting to speak of so I took the morning off myself and waited to ride down with Mike but his son's (Pearson) football game went into overtime so we drove separately and I was in the stand by 3:15 until 5:15 and saw nothing today. It's been downright chilly the past two days and all I can say is hallelujah!!!! We've been mostly in the 20's in the mornings and evenings and that's a lot more comfortable for my liking when it comes to hunting. I know you New Yorkers would laugh at me saying lows in the 20's are cool but for us down here it's about all we can hope for and the colder the better in my opinion when it comes to hunting.

Mike sat in the stand on the big light line behind the tobacco barn where we park and he got a shot at a small doe (legal doe day today) but apparently missed or at least couldn't find the deer that he's pretty sure he hit. Mike is a pretty good shot I can tell you from hunting with him for many years and he said this was a 40 yard shot at a standing still deer with a good rest so something must be up. It may have gotten into some of the really nasty thick stuff without bleeding and he just couldn't find it. He said he checked carefully where he shot at it and there was no blood even though he was pretty sure he had seen blood when he shot.

Another note is that another guy that hunts Sammy's land (Brian) was hunting from his truck yesterday afternoon because it was pretty chilly and he was on the big light line on the big side and shot four times and killed a great big doe and a small button buck about like the one pictured here.

So, it was an unconventional weekend of hunting - no drives but we still got a few deer. I'm suffering from a head cold that just came on a few days ago and so is Sammy. I hope we're feeling better for this Friday and Saturday - the next planned days of hunting. Hopefully we'll be able to get some decent drives in. These cooler temperatures are supposed to stick with us as far as I know.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Pilgarlic spells S-E-X-Y in my book, friend. Please pass along my undying devotion to your studley and very handsome twin brother!

Oh, nice baby deer you're bagging there, too. Where's the sport of it, though? Seems to me it's like shooting (little) fish in a barrel.