Monday, November 17, 2008

A hot day of hunting.....




Temperature wise that is. It was Hot with a capital H. The high temperature was somewhere in the mid 70's and that just doesn't cut it when you're trying to make man drives through some very thick stuff where you have to wear briar proof clothing or you'll get ripped to shreds. Shaun can attest to that as one of the first times he came down here and hunted he made a particularly nasty drive wearing only blue jeans and got his legs all cut up. The briars here are unbelievable and unrelenting in some places.

It has finally cooled down and I'm pretty thrilled about that. Saturday was just plain miserable for hunting. We made a few drives and one young guy that hunted with us shot four times at a buck and hit it and even knocked it down on the ground twice but it kept on going and they trailed the blood quite a ways but eventually lost it and never found the deer. It was just too hot to enjoy hunting; coming out of the woods and having the sweat just pouring off of you is no fun. I did see a deer still hunting in the afternoon and shot but missed (oh well, everyone misses and I've had a great year so far).

I'm going to attach a few pictures of a lizard I came face to face with when I was hooking the cable back up to keep people out where we were hunting. This was a slightly different outdoor experience but interesting all the same. I contend you just never know what you're going to see in the outdoors. All part of God's wonderment.....

I would really like to get some more deer meat because I figured out how to make jerky with a dehydrator a friend of mine loaned me and some advice/a recipe for marinating it from Shaun. I made my first batch yesterday and it was done this morning. I tasted a couple of pieces and must say it came out pretty good. I'm sure our group will get more deer so it shouldn't be a problem getting more meat.

I also have some pictures from last year that I came across that I'll try to post later on. Come to think of it, they might even be from two years ago.

No comments: