Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Two more deer

I'm up to six deer for the year after this long weekend of hunting. I hunted Saturday afternoon and all day Monday and Tuesday. I shot a spike Monday afternoon and another Tuesday morning. On both occasions I thought I was shooting at a doe so that will give you a clue as to how big the horns were. Still, more meat for the freezer and I think I'm going to try to make some jerky for the first time. I've got a dehydrator so I figure it's worth a try. I know whenever Shaun has made it we've all enjoyed it down here in Virginia. My muzzle loading season consisted of sitting on a stand 9 times. I saw deer eight times, shot a total of 9 times, missed two does (one Monday morning and one Monday afternoon) and ended up getting 6 deer, a doe, two spikes, and a 6, 8, and 9 pointer. Had to shoot the 8 pointer twice since the first shot was somewhat of a gut shot. This has been far and away the best year I've ever had hunting already and we aren't even into the six weeks of the regular season yet.

I'm going to try to attach a picture of a deer that was killed by a truck/car not too far from here this past weekend. My God what a buck - that would be something to see walking along under your stand.

There's my brief report. Regular shotgun and rifle season comes in this Saturday so it's back to some real hunting - making man drives and still hunting only for a brief period of time in the morning and afternoon.

Steve

No comments: