Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Incredible Start to the 2008 Black Powder Season in Central Virginia







Hi, I'm Steve Montgomery, son of Jeannie Montgomery and older brother to Shaun Montgomery (Also have a twin brother Scott and sister Sally). I'm also cousin to Joe Rebisz Jr.(?), I know his dad was named Joe too because he was my Uncle Joe so I'm guessing Jody (as we always knew him when we were kids) is a Jr. I grew up in Broadalbin, NY and hunted and fished all my life growing up. I then went into the Army and took a break from that type of thing but have been back into hunting and fishing quite a lot for the past 20 years or so. I was talking to Shaun about my incredible start to the hunting season here and he suggested I try to post about it on your blog (Hooked Up). I'm not sure how this works but I'm going to give it a shot. I've lived in Central Virginia (Chesterfield County/Chester - between Richmond and Petersburg) for almost exactly 30 years now. We hunt about an hour southwest of here in two towns; Blackstone and Dundas.

The hunting season has started off pretty much unbelievably for me. Kind of like a dream or something. I hunted Saturday and Monday and got three bucks and a doe and could have easily shot more. I got a six, nine and eight pointer along with the doe. I'm going to try to attach a few pictures. I'm getting the 8 pointer mounted at Gary's Taxidermy, he's less than a mile down the road from me. I took it in there yesterday, shot it Monday afternoon. It's a perfect 8, very symmetrical and fairly heavy horns. The inside spread is 17-1/4" so I've certainly seen bigger ones but they've been deer that others have killed. It's worth it to me to have this one mounted - I just don't get them like that very often.

I saw an incredible amount of deer on my four still hunting periods in two days. I saw 4, 3, 8, and 1 deer respectively. The 1 was the eight pointer and it was at 5:15 Monday afternoon. After I shot the 9 pointer Monday morning I watched a 6 pointer in my scope in the light line I was on for close to 30 minutes. I could have easily shot that deer too but didn't want to be ridiculous or greedy. I felt a little bad anyway because my good friend Mike hunted Saturday morning and only saw one doe and then brought his son (Pearson) down Monday morning where he got a shot at a doe but hit it in the front leg and they trailed it for some time but never could find it. Then he took Pearson home and came back to hunt the afternoon and sat where I had seen 8 deer that morning and didn't see anything and I end up getting that nice 8 pointer. Frustrating for him so that puts a little bit of a damper on things but still it has been an incredible start to the season.

They say they've been spotting a cougar in Blackstone very near where we hunt. None of us have seen it as of yet but it's still early in the year. I'm thinking my luck is bound to get worse because I don't see how it could get any better.

Now to see if I can figure out how to post pictures and maybe (just maybe) get this post onto the Hooked Up blog.

2 comments:

Scott said...

That bloody dear head is simply lovely.

Steve M said...

That isn't blood, it's rouge.....