Sunday, November 30, 2008

Yayyyy Pearson!!!







Here's the Thanksgiving weekend hunting post. I'll try to be brief because I recognize many wouldn't care but then again, I'm doing this mostly for me and a few close family and friends and this is what matters to me this time of year so I will go into a little detail. I already posted that Mike got a small buck on Wednesday (he's marinating in the refrigerator right now). A few of them (Mike, Pearson, Sammy, Ben, and Scott I think) hunted Thanksgiving morning and I believe Scott got a shot or two at a deer on a drive but missed. I wasn't there so I couldn't swear to that. I had Thanksgiving dinner with Rick and Debbie Court and their son Sean. A good time was had by all and it was a veritable feast so I'm very thankful that they invited me to join them for the holiday.

Friday was another day where we made drives and it was Mike, Sammy, Ben, Scott, and me. Nothing too much to report, no deer were taken but we did jump a few and Mike and Ben both got a shot at a buck on the Bledsoe drive that Sammy and I made. The deer was flying out of the block of bushes we were driving and Mike and Ben were at the other end but only had a split second to get a shot off so it's understandable that they missed. I think Scott might have gotten a shot Friday too but I don't remember the details so I can't report on it. We didn't still hunt in the morning but did in the afternoon and didn't see anything.

Saturday was the big day - same crowd except Pearson (Mike's son) was hunting with us and also another couple of young guys that are friends of Ben (Sammy's son); Aaron and James hunted for a little while. We hunted in Dundas during the day making drives and Mike drove a buck out from the right side bottom below the Oak Grove. Scott got a shot as the deer was running across the field but missed. The other drive of note (although Mike and Sammy made the Silo drive, which is a bear (as in a very difficult drive) but nothing came out) was the twin bottom drive from the School House to the Walnut Tree/Ant Stand (I realize that Shaun is the only person reading this who will have a clue what I'm talking about but hey, this is my blog so I'll include these little details). I jumped a doe and wasn't quick enough to get a shot but luckily it ran toward where Aaron was, even though it started out running right back where I had just come from. Anyway, Aaron shot three times and the deer had made its way over to him and he got it. Saturday was a legal doe day so that a good thing.

Another couple of Sammy's friends (Brian and Mike) were there but weren't hunting. They've built a shelter down by Sammy's pond in Dundas and it's a great place to clean deer and just hang out. They were cooking kabobs with deer meat, onions, summer squash, green peppers and man-oh-man was that some delicious stuff. Those guys really do know how to cook deer meat I have to say. That was a lunch time feast for all of us.

For the afternoon hunt, Mike, Pearson and I went back to Blackstone. I went down to the Continental Can cut-over where I had my climbing stand and pulled it out to the squeaker stand where Mike took it in his truck and carried it out. I had to get it out of there because they're getting ready to cut the timber very soon. I still hunted in the squeaker stand for the afternoon and saw nothing. I heard a shot around 4:50 and figured it was Pearson because that was where it sounded like it came from (they were in the original fort stand). As I was walking out at dark Sammy called and said Pearson had killed a seven pointer with a 15-1/4" inside spread. I met Mike and Pearson and took a couple of pictures and we went back to Dundas to clean the deer. I just bought a digital camera so I'll post a couple of the pistures here. It was a great day, everyone involved was happy for Pearson, especially his dad. Pearson is 13 and this was the fifth deer of his life and at least the second buck; he also got a seven pointer last year from the same stand. He made quite a shot on this one as the deer was up at the stargazer stand facing him when he shot (I believe that's every bit of 175 yards) and he hit it perfectly right in the center of the chest. Congratulations Pearson!!!
I realized I forgot to mention that Shaun shot himself a nice 11 point buck Thanksgiving morning while making a drive with Johnny and Tom just up the road from where they all live above Lampman Road. I got a couple of pictures from Mom on the cell phone and it looks like a nice buck. Shaun told me it had a number of stickers too but was 11 points at least an inch long and I think I remember him saying it was 16-1/8" inside spread with a 19" outside spread. He's getting it mounted and I'm happy for you Shaun.

1 comment:

Shaunman said...

Nice buck Pearson!! It is really a blessing to be able to hunt and spend time with your father in the woods.